[PD-dev] HID names, numbers and tables

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sat Jul 9 16:24:35 CEST 2005

I used the names from Linux's input.h.  The event naming scheme is
derived from Linux rather than USB because its much cleaner.  I guess
that makes it less than pure "HID" because the Linux input system is
HID plus ADB, PS/2, serial mice, AT, etc.

The names in [hid] could probably use a revamp.  I chose deliberately
short names because I thought strcmp() was used to compare the strings,
but since Matju pointed out that symbol comparison is done by the
pointer, the length of the symbol name won't affect comparison speed.
But if the names are too long, they'll take up a lot of screen space.

As for less parsing, one of these days, I'll get around to making the
OS-specific versions of [hid] which will just dump the data straight
out from the OS without any cross-platform concerns.  That might help
with the sensor setups.

.hc