[PD-dev] Re:[PD] More Flext compilation problems

Thomas Grill gr at grrrr.org
Sun Jul 17 17:06:29 CEST 2005

Hi Günther,

> I understand Miller that he doesn't want to export this file, because
> the
> whole point on Pd is that this should be handled differently. I didn't
> know that when I started using g_canvas.h, others followed to do so and

i'm asking myself how this should be handled then... In my
understanding there should be no relevant difference between internals
and externals, meaning that both should use the same API.
What is the solution for external developers? Not implement graphical
stuff at all? Or do it with data structures, wasting development time
and system resources?
It seems the common problem is that things in PD development got and
get messed up by the time because people want to work with the API and
implement useful things but it's totally unclear what future directions
will be, what can be used safely etc. It's a problem of documentation
and communication.
Concerning flext, it uses g_canvas.h quite conservatively and i think
it would be even possible to avoid it with the loss of some comfort
(attribute editor).

best greetings,
Thomas