[PD-dev] proposed new "list" object

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Wed Jul 20 12:43:52 CEST 2005

Hallo,
Guenter Geiger hat gesagt: // Guenter Geiger wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Jul 2005, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> > However Lobjects is a really huge collection of list operations, some
> > of which might be better off as being implemented in externals (for
> > now).
>
> The idea should be to be able to do all list handling without
> externals. One approach to this would be to think about how to implement
> typical operations with the set of proposed messages as abstraction.

Yes, I agree. For that a complete set of basic operations would be
very useful. Probably there already is some theory available about
this somewhere. Will the real IT students/scientists please stand up?

> Someone wants to try "sort" ? Who knows, maybe there is an elegant
> counter like implementation, bubblesort, quicksort ..
> or should sort be part of the list API ?

[zl] also has "union" and "sect" which remove duplicates rsp. sends
out only common elements in two lists.

[zl] has another interesting property: It is possible to dynamically
change the mode of operation. E.g. [zl join] joins two lists. But if
you send a "mode slice 2" to it, it will transform itself to be a list
slicer (and send out the first 2 elements and the rest). This could be
handy, though I'm not if it isn't a bit too smart.

Ciao

          _ __latest track: "plak" @ http://footils.org/cms/show/44