[PD-dev] First attempt at "list" object uploaded

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Jul 25 16:12:39 CEST 2005

Frank Barknecht wrote:
> Hallo,
> Guenter Geiger hat gesagt: // Guenter Geiger wrote:
>

>>Let me explain:
>>In order to convert lists to messages I normally use message boxes with
>>$ arguments. E.g if I send a list "foo 2" to  [set $1 $2( it will
>>construct a message that reads [set foo 2(,
>>similar with a 3 element list and $1,$2,$3.
>>Now, my proposal is to introduce a $@ dollar symbol which accepts
>>lists of any length, this way it is not necessary to know the
>>length of a list before converting it into a message.

and since there are some parallels between message-$-args and
object-$-args, having a "$@" would also mean that you could have
argument-lists of arbitrary length in abstractions in abstractions.
[l $1 $2 $3 $4 $5] is not the same as [l $@].

so yes, i would vote for $@ and $# (well, the latter can be made with a
general $@ and [l.length])

(and speaking of this i would also appreciate a mechanism to allow $args
within! a symbol. something like $1_$2_$3 (i wouldn't mind
${1}_${2}_${3} (we could use some other bracket instead of the curly
ones, they just bashed through my mind))

mfg.a.sdr
IOhannes