[PD-dev] SCons under MinGW, and Building PD from Source

Matthew Allen mtallen at gmail.com
Sun Aug 28 17:55:01 CEST 2005

After about a year absence I am trying to get back into PD land.  My
current setup is a winXP machine, but I had gotten used to being able
to make small changes to how things worked in PD under Linux. I would
like to be able to do some of the same things under windows, along
with starting to contribute again to the PD community.

My day job give me access to VC 7.0 but it appears that no one in
PD-Dev land is using this to build PD? All web and list resources seem
to point to using MinGW for building. Since this was the most
documented route I went this direction.

After following http://puredata.org/docs/developer/mingw

I had a working msys and mingw system. I already had python 2.4
installed, but have no experience with SCons. I think this is where I
am failing, as I am quite sure I should be editing some SCons file
somewhere to match my system.

I am calling SCons on the pd dir like this:

$ python /mingw/bin/scons install
scons: Reading SConscript files ...
Checking for sin() in C library m... no
can't find Math library

Its dying on line 148 on the pd/src/SConscript.

So what have I borked in my MinGW setup?

Also, if you have gotten this far, Is anyone building PD with VC 7?
Not just externals (which I can get to build, with an existing install
of PD) but all of PD land? If someone does and is willing would you
mind putting your project file into the devel branch in CVS, I am sure
a great many folks would appreciate the jumping off point.

Matt