[PD-dev] Re: externals/build SConscript

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Nov 2 17:44:42 CET 2005

On Nov 1, 2005, at 12:04 PM, carmen wrote:

>> But its just a shame that work is going into a new build system
>> that is just duplicating existing functionality...the system isn't
>> perfect, but that doesn't mean it can't be made better
>> without being totally discarded.
>
> but thats what youre doing right? is /packages/darwin_app/Makefile not
> another 'build system'?
>
> this makes 3..one more, and pd can hit the road! vroom vroom!

packages/darwin_app/Makefile is a unified build system, it just calls
other existing builds, like externals/build/darwin/makefile,
externals/grill/flext, externals/miXed/, etc. etc.  Its been around for
2+ years.

>> And yes, there should be a separate C++ build system.
>
> other places you are suggesting to unify them, yet here you are saying
> we should have seperate systems? that can't be..since C++ and C have
> happily coexisted for years in all of the 'make' and make-replacements
> i can think of ...
>
>> what's in packages/darwin_app/Makefile is just basic makefile stuff,
>> so
>> it will be an easy port to Linux and MinGW/Windows.
>
> considering build system #1 (make) and #2 (SCons) already run on
> various platforms, and #3 like #1 is also using 'make', this should be
> no problem. but maybe instead of having /packages/platform and
> /externals/build and /externals/build/platform we should just have a
> /build, and there should be options for 'just core' 'just externals'
> 'everything', etc...

Exactly, that's what packages/darwin_app/Makefile is!  Check it out!
Soon it shall be multi-platform too, thanks to some sponsorship.

____

"Looking at things from a more basic level, you can come up with a more
direct solution... It may sound small in theory, but it in practice, it
can change entire economies."

                                        - Amy Smith