[PD-dev] CVS developer access request

Jamie Bullock jamie at postlude.co.uk
Fri Nov 4 12:09:23 CET 2005

Well, I think I joined the PD list about 18 months ago, but never posted
an introduction, because it seemed such a difficult thing, but I'll give
it a try...

My background, and primary interest, is in composition and performance
using live electronics. I think this can all be traced back to the
purchase of a Boss DD-3 delay pedal back in the '80s! I then moved on to
hardware synths, and effects, and later CSound and Max (with Max
outputting MIDI to CSound - no MSP back then). I did a Bachelor's degree
in Sonic Art at Middlesex University in the UK, and then a M.Phil. in
Musical Composition at Birmingham University.

Changes in personal circumstances, then caused me to move into a job
working in IT/Network support. It was in this period that I discovered
Linux. When I returned to studying and composing two years ago, I looked
at software in a very different way, and moved straight to PD.

I am currently studying towards a PhD in Music Technology at Birmingham
Conservatoire, and also doing some teaching. My main area of research
concerns the compositional applications of timbre recognition. I taught
myself C from Kernigham and Ritchie so I could write my own PD
externals. Since then I have written:

fton - my first external, which calculates note name, octave, and
centage deviation from frequency.

flib - a library for extracting various features from an fft

fct~/ifct~ - (inverse) fast cosine transform

dssi~  - A DSSI host for PD.

dssi~ is for a project I am involved in to modernise the works of
Jonathan Harvey. Details can be found at
www.conservatoire.uce.ac.uk/harvey

My (very out-of-date) website can be found at www.postlude.co.uk, with
extracts from some of my pieces, and my externals can currently be found
at www.puredata.org/Memebers/jb

That's it really.

All the best to you all!

Jamie