[PD-dev] Re: Pd for Debian [was: Re: [PD] Pd-0.38.4-extended-RC6 release]

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Fri Dec 30 21:14:08 CET 2005

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> > Where do you put externals that have deps that are not audio deps and that
> > are not video deps?
> Do you have a suggestion?

I don't know...

> pd-externals may have some extra dependencies,

Oh, I didn't think of interpreting "externals with no deps" this way.

> I'd just put these in pd-externals anyway, unless they, like Gridflow,
> pdp or Gem, form a kind of application itself build on top of Pd.

What do you mean that they form a kind of application? That seems vague...
Is it because of their size? or is it because all three happen to define
their own datatypes and use them a lot, and as such seem to be escaping
Pd's claws?

What is required for a library to be considered a real library (integrated
with pd) instead of being kind of an application (build on top) ? Does the
distinction exist?

> A bigger issue could be platform specific externals. Okay, Framesteins
> seems deadish, but for example the alsa-externals by IOhannes won't run
> on OS-X or MS-Windows.

How would that be a bigger issue, or even an issue?... You just don't
provide alsa packages on OSX and MSW, that's all, right??