[PD-dev] Yves Degoyon

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Fri Dec 30 23:13:16 CET 2005

On Dec 30, 2005, at 12:48 PM, Yves Degoyon wrote:

> Marc Lavallée wrote:
>
>> Le 30 Décembre 2005 01:43, Hans-Christoph Steiner a écrit :
>>
>>> Any statement in a license can't just be disregarded.  That's a very
>>> clear statement within a license, so its legally binding.  And
>>> therefore PiDiP is not free software.
>>>

>> It has a weak legal binding. I would'nt say that it's "unfree"
>> software, it's more like a open source software with a moral
>> statement written as a banner in capital letters. This could be
>> included in the "readme", not in the license.
>>

>>> I'd prefer to have that phrase removed from the PiDiP license,
>>> though I
>>> agree with its sentiment. Otherwise it will make distributing PiDiP
>>> difficult, among other things.
>>>

>> Yves's intention is to distribute PiDiP as free software, and its
>> license is very easy to fix...
>>
> there's _no way_ this statement will disappear, man...
> i want to give it for alternative networks not for the power suckers...

That's bad news.

Therefore, we are forced to remove PiDiP from the Pd-extended packages,
to keep the license issues clear.

You are also hurting alternative networks by using a non-free license.
The GNU GPL is good enough for most alternative networks, I am hoping
it can be good enough for you too.

____

"I have the audacity to believe that peoples everywhere can have three
and dignity, equality and freedom for their spirits."
                                             - Martin Luther King, Jr.