[PD-dev] making a libusb object (expanding on [hid] toolkit)

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Thu Jan 19 22:43:41 CET 2006

I am currently working on the next generation of the [hid] toolkit.
Its going to be split into two libraries: an IO lib, which will include
[hid], [serial], [usb], etc.  Then the [hid] mapping objects will be
combined with Cyrille Henry's sensor/datastream objects into a mapping
lib.  The IO objects will have all the same options and the interface
will be as similar as possible, so if you know how to use [serial],
you'll know how to use [hid] or [usb] basically.

Then just like how [mouse], [joystick], [keyboard], etc. are Pd objects
based on [hid], there will be [multio], [arduino], etc. which will be
Pd objects based on [usb], [serial], etc.

[hid] and [serial] are basically done, [hid] works on GNU/Linux and Mac
OSX and is being ported to Win32, and [serial] will be based on
[comport], thanks to Wini for that.  For [usb], I am think of basically
making a Pd interface to libusb, since it runs on all Pd platforms,
there is even a Win32 port (which seems to be a fork, unfortunately).

Anyhow, I am wondering if anyone has done any work towards making a
libusb object?  Also, ideas, comments, criticisms are always welcome.