[PD-dev] including [dssi~] in Pd-extended

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sun Mar 19 01:15:23 CET 2006

Hallo,
Kyle Klipowicz hat gesagt: // Kyle Klipowicz wrote:

> I think that hc is really just trying to build an awesome package to
> popularize pd.  I know it's a pain in the rear to maintain code and
> manage source trees and such, but he has a serious drive to make this
> obscure-as-all-hell program more relevant to laypersons and
> non-programmers.  This saves you guys a TON of work actually, since
> you won't be badgered by annoying newbie questions on the list re:
> this stuff, if people can just click an install button.

> If more awareness can be made about pd, especially with high-quality
> plugins like ladspa and dssi, then people will be drawn toward it, and
> we will eventually gain more users, developers, and maintainers, and
> possibly more funding!  How could that be a bad thing?

We do need to draw a line somewhere about what to include in a Pd
distribution and what to leave out. Every software package has to
decide such things, Max has to, Pd has to, Ardour has to, Firefox has
to. And I would draw that line when it comes to plugins. DSSI and
LADSPA are well defined interfaces that were designed with the main
goal in mind, that plugin authors and the authors of plugin host
software should be able to work independently. Including plugins in
the Pd CVS would defy that underlying idea of DSSI and LADSPA.

Ciao