[PD-dev] "imports" section of CVS

cdr ix at replic.net
Sun Mar 19 23:15:19 CET 2006

> > and think of it as a programming platform, like Java.  The strength is
> > in the collection of all the code.

installing plugins in eclipse is a few clicks. . installing extensions in firefox is a few clicks. i envision a patch popping up a dialog 'this patch requires GEM, send13, and oggcast~' and cross referencing your platform (Mac OS 10.4 PPC, PD 38.4) and offering an 'OK' button to download & install the binaries (generated via nightly builds of the CVS output to individually accessible files instead of a 80MB .dmg). if the binaries didnt exist or caught some kind of symbol exception on loading, it would compile them, a la CPAN/rubygems, etc - this apparatus would be built in PD, as opposed to C or Tk, and use the standard library (maybe libcurl-bindings, or an HTTP abstraction arund netsocket) to fetch the files, spawn GCC, etc....

i'll get around to writing it once i figure out some more pressing issues, like paying my rent..