[PD-dev] including [dssi~] in Pd-extended

Kyle Klipowicz kyleklip at gmail.com
Mon Mar 20 09:30:50 CET 2006

An interesting inversion to this topic is the one of using _Pd_ as a
plugin within a host device.  I know there's jsarlo's pdvst, but
that's windows only and is less of a "plug in" solution as it is a
"open up the fuse box and rewire your house" kind of solution.  This
is not an insult, but more of a statement of my own stupidity
regarding these things.

Again, I'm not a coder and can't judge or say much on the dev list,
but I would love to be able to use Pd inside of other software, and
others would too (those of us who are too impatient to build our own
state-saving, non-crashing, graphical sequencers).

A preliminary (and un-thorough) search on google shows little
documentation of direct vst or audio unit wrappers for dssi and ladspa
plugins.  Would the best effort be to make a vst wrapper for
ladspa/dssi, and then try to make pd available as a ladspa/dssi plugin
in its own right?  This might appeal more to the hardcore GNU/Linux
crowd, since they use these tools anyway, and then some lucky soul
(not me unless I magically learn a shitload of coding skills) could
simply make ladspa/dssi available to the other OSes.

My only other idea would be to petition someone like Ableton to make
an open api based on bsd-liscensed Pd code so that people could
program Live extensions with it (which would be _sweet_).

What are your thoughts on this?

~Kyle