[PD-dev] under_scores versus studlyCaps in object names

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sun Mar 26 16:53:10 CEST 2006

On Mar 25, 2006, at 11:08 PM, carmen wrote:

> On Sat Mar 25, 2006 at 09:45:52PM -0500, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>>
>> I just was thinking: C++, Java, SuperCollider, Python, SmallTalk,
>> processing, etc. all use studlyCaps as the standard for object and
>> method names rather than the GNU C under_score_object_names or the
>> Max/Pd-style runeverythingtogether (natural for German and Thai
>> speakers, but not most languages AFAIK).
>
> i think its called camelCase in some circles. no idea why, as i
> can't read Arabic..

I stand corrected, StUdlyCaPs is a little different than CamelCase.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CamelCase
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/StudlyCaps

> pd symbols can have spaces, so do we even need underscores? i find
> eather solution incongruous and not idiomatic with pd

Spaces in object names would cause a lot of pain, I think, since Pd
doesn't deal with symbols with spaces very well.  Even if it did, I
think it would make things unclear as to which words are part of the
object name, and which are arguments.

.hc