[PD-dev] net objects

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Apr 25 11:40:08 CEST 2006

On Apr 21, 2006, at 10:03 PM, Martin Peach wrote:

> Frank Barknecht wrote:
>> Hallo,
>> Martin Peach hat gesagt: // Martin Peach wrote:
>>> I'm working on packOSC and upackOSC which interface to these
>>> objects via lists of floats-constrained-to-be-bytes. unpackOSC
>>> will allow routing via route instead of OSCroute since the path
>>> will be separated into symbols and output as a list. The data
>>> will be output as a separate list.
>> Hm, but [route] doesn't support wildcards like [OSCroute] does. Isn't
>> this a step backwards?
>
> You could just use a [route *] for the simplest wildcard type. But
> yes, probably a special OSCroute is still needed, but it needs to
> be settable by messages as well as creation arguments. Maybe I
> should redo OSCroute instead...

Both options would be nice to have.  I think a better solution would
be to make a generic route object that handles wildcards based on the
existing route object.  The [route] in Pd core also has some other
issues, like [route list] not always outputting a list, so a new
route object could be nice.

The more we translate everything into generic messages, the more
flexible Pd becomes, IMHO.

____

"Computer science is no more related to the computer than astronomy
is related to the telescope."
                                                           -Edsger
Dykstra