[PD-dev] Re: new external, please add me to the CVS dev

Tim Blechmann TimBlechmann at gmx.net
Sat Apr 29 15:38:23 CEST 2006

On Fri, 2006-04-28 at 17:53 -0400, David Merrill wrote:
> My external can scan for given input devices in linux and spit out
> the
> device file descriptor (i.e. /dev/input/event5) so that a particular
> device can be automatically connected to a patch when it's plugged
> in,
> or when the patch is started - rather than having to hard-code the
> descriptor - so it allows for a kind of "plug-and-play" for input
> devices. I've been using it with hans-christoph's linuxjoystick in
> order
> to avoid hard-coding the file descriptor, meaning that patch can
> always
> start up and be "live" regardless of what order devices were plugged
> in,
> etc.

well, i'm curious how you solved that ... some time ago i wrote a python
script parsing the udevinfo output ....
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/pure-data/abstractions/tb/find_hid.py?view=markup

might make sense to combine the efforts ...

tim

--
TimBlechmann at gmx.de    ICQ: 96771783
http://www.mokabar.tk

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere
  John Coltrane