[PD-dev] outlet_anything() & threads

Tim Blechmann TimBlechmann at gmx.net
Tue May 2 13:03:15 CEST 2006

> can anyone confirm that using outlet_anything() inside a thread is safe?
> just wrote a little object that reads a usb device in a thread, and send to
> the outlets from there directly via outlet_anything() .... so far it doesnt
> crash or anything, it just works (of course there are some objects connected
> to them), altough its only a few route's and slider/bangs/toggles connected.

solution 1: use the sys_lock() ... (not to mention "locking is bad")
solution 2: use devel and the lockfree idle callback

solution 3: use flext, since it's taking care of that ...

of course it might work in every test you run, but it will certainly
crash, when you're playing a concert :)

hth, tim

--
TimBlechmann at gmx.de    ICQ: 96771783
http://www.mokabar.tk

I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion
  Jack Kerouac