[PD-dev] outlet_anything() & threads

Tim Blechmann TimBlechmann at gmx.net
Wed May 17 13:48:37 CEST 2006

> > linked list is highly inefficient ... O(n) ... one of the biggest
> > problems of pd's scheduler ...
>
> Perhaps in theory, but Pd's scheduler is working quite well for me
> and a few thousand other people.  But I don't pay attention to the
> implementation details.

using several thousand metro/delay/pipe objects in my performance patch,
adding clock callbacks to the list takes a considerable amount of my
cpu...

> > - polling the device from the pd thread would add overhead code
> > which is
> > possibly blocking ... so your code can't be used in low-latency
> > systems ...
>
> [hid] currently uses no threads, yet I have not heard any complaints
> about blocking/clicks.  Also, I have yet to hear any clicks caused by
> [hid].
>
> Please send an example patch if you can make [hid] cause clicks.

well, this is one of the most common mistakes when designing low latency
systems ... there are problems, that occur only in very few cases ... so
you don't experience the dropout during 10 days of rehearsal, but during
the performance you have a click ...
in these cases analyzing the code is a better approach than testing ...

tim

--
TimBlechmann at gmx.de    ICQ: 96771783
http://www.mokabar.tk

The aim of education is the knowledge, not of facts, but of values
  William S. Burroughs