[PD-dev] Re: rh/ccrma pd-extended rpm

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Mon Jun 19 23:36:27 CEST 2006

Hmm, can't think of any scripts there that would be specifically
helpful to the RedHat packaging.  If you haven't seen this stuff
already, its probably helpful

(in CVS):
packages/linux_make
packages/redhat_rpm

(on the web)
http://puredata.org/docs/developer/Debian
http://puredata.org/docs/developer/build

It would be nice to have a RedHat port of scripts/debian/init.d/pd
(it would go nicely in scripts/redhat/init.d/pd).

scripts/checkout-developer-layout.sh might make the CVS checkout a
little easier for you.

.hc

On Jun 19, 2006, at 3:31 PM, shift8 wrote:

> ok - i'm going through the scripts in scripts/ from cvs, as i never
> really used them before.  any tips, tricks, undocumented folklore i
> should know about?
>
> On Sat, 2006-06-17 at 12:22 -0400, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>> I am cc'ing the list since I think this is of general interest.
>>
>> I have talked with Nando about it, his reason for not doing it is
>> lack of time.  There are no license issues with Pd-extended that
>> would be a problem with RedHat or PlanetCCRMA.  The whole Pd-extended
>> is licensed under the GNU GPL. In fact, we are limited to only BSD
>> and GPL code in Pd-extended, while with PlanetCCRMA, they can ignore
>> a lot of license issues because they have Stanford's lawyers behind
>> them.  They include software with all sorts of non-free licenses, and
>> even include patented code that would be illegal to use in the US
>> without a specific license.
>>
>> The plan with the pdlab farm of computers is to have the nightly
>> builds posted automatically so they can be downloaded.  Ideally, the
>> packages would ultimately be included in the respective OSes.
>>
>> As for how to support RedHat/PlanetCCRMA, I'll leave that totally up
>> to you, I don't use either, so I don't know what makes sense for
>> them.  But feel free to ask any questions, etc. about Pd-extended.
>> Also, there is a lot that can be improved in the Pd-extended build
>> system, so if you feel motivated to improve things, go for it.  The
>> hard part is that it has to work on all platforms.
>>
>> .hc
>>
>> On Jun 16, 2006, at 9:20 PM, shift8 wrote:
>>
>>> cool - there will most likely be other dependencies for pd-extened
>>> on a
>>> stock fedora/redhat/planetccrm install (non-standard builds,  that
>>> have
>>> never made it to rpm, license issues, etc - there's must be some
>>> logical
>>> reason Fernando doesn't already make one), so i think it's still not
>>> going to be drop in for ccrma users.  i'll start with their spec
>>> file
>>> and go from there.  perhaps you can host non-standard rpms w/ it
>>> after
>>> they get built?

>>> --
>>> ᚛᚛ᚉᚑᚅᚔᚉᚉᚔᚋ ᚔᚈᚔ ᚍᚂᚐᚅᚑ
>>> ᚅᚔᚋᚌᚓᚅᚐ᚜

>> ---
>>
>> Using ReBirth is like trying to play an 808 with a long stick.    -
>> David Zicarelli
>>

> --
> ᚛᚛ᚉᚑᚅᚔᚉᚉᚔᚋ ᚔᚈᚔ ᚍᚂᚐᚅᚑ
> ᚅᚔᚋᚌᚓᚅᚐ᚜

Looking at things from a more basic level, you can come up with a
more direct solution... It may sound small in theory, but it in
practice, it can change entire economies.     - Amy Smith