[PD-dev] Going from CVS to Subversion

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sun Aug 13 17:56:07 CEST 2006

Hallo,
IOhannes m zmoelnig hat gesagt: // IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> Frank Barknecht wrote:
>
> > 1) developer vote:
> >
> >   Should the SF repository switch from CVS to SVN on Sourceforge?
> >   [ ] yes
> >   [ ] no
>
> i am all for it, but: does sourceforge already implement some kind of
> acl for svn? or can we live without acl's?

Uh, we need to check this. But AFAIK we currently only use the ACL on
Miller's branch.

> > 2) sort out techical issues with branches, tags etc.
>
> for externals i would suggest to split branches on each external
> separately, (e.g. /externals/zexy/trunk instead of /trunk/externals/zexy
> or /externals/trunk/zexy)

Yes, I agree with this, but this can be dealt with after The Big
Change, I suppose. For the externals we also should to take care not
to break the extended Build-system. Some changes will be necessary to
the Build of course, because of the usual trunk/tags/branches layout
in SVN.

I cannot really comment on how to best deal with the branches of Pd's
sources.

> > 3) find someone (incl. admins!) who volunteers to do the import. I
> > would volunteer but I wouldn't want to do this completely alone.
>
> i would volunteer too, however i don't see any advantage in having 2 (or
> more) persons involved in the migration. (probably when they are at the
> same terminal, like with XP, then there might be a benefit)

Let's do it mid-September then, when I'm in Graz. ;)

I would actually prefer if someone else than me would do it, as I'm
not that experienced especially with CVS internals, so I would gladly
let you take over.

Ciao