[PD-dev] Re: zexyconf.h conflicts

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Fri Oct 27 07:33:04 CEST 2006

On Oct 27, 2006, at 12:54 AM, Martin Peach wrote:

> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

>>> i see. this is indeed a problem.
>>> the reason why zexyconf.h is checked in, is that you can also
>>> build zexy with M$VC without running configure first: in this
>>> case nobody will create the zexyconf.h file, which - imho - makes
>>> building overcomplicated (i don't think it is an option to tell
>>> people to copy zexyconf.h.in to zexyconf.h and edit to their needs).
>>
>> That sounds good.  I think its far too much work to support every
>> compiler under the sun.  I like gcc on all platforms.
> Yes black and white is easier than colour. But if MS has made the
> OS then MS 's compiler is likely to be the best for that platform.
> There are only three (3) platforms that anyone here has ever
> mentioned. gcc is really good on linux.
> Martin

Actually Apple uses gcc as its native compiler also, and they
contribute a lot to gcc as well.  I am not opposed to people using
the Windows compilers.  But most of the stuff in CVS does not compile
with the Windows compilers.  Basically everything compiles with gcc
on Windows.

Its a lot of work to support the Microsoft compiler, and so far no
one is really doing it, besides little bits here and there.

Also, since Pd is free software, it makes sense that it should be
buildable with free software.  Right now, Windows and ASIO are the
the only non-free parts.  A ReactOS build would fix that.

I spent 33 years and four months in active military service and
during that period I spent most of my time as a high class muscle man
for Big Business, for Wall Street and the bankers.      - General
Smedley Butler