[PD-dev] Survey (was Re: opt-in usage statistics 'phone home')

Chris McCormick chris at mccormick.cx
Sat Nov 4 02:20:48 CET 2006

On Fri, Nov 03, 2006 at 10:43:31AM -0500, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Nov 2006, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>
> >Right now, there have been roughly 17,000 downloads of the last
> >Pd-extended release, according to SourceForge:
> >http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=55736&package_id=76013
> >I'd like to know how many people use it, and for what.
>
> I bet that 16,000 of them were made by Cycling74 to make us feel
> overconfident. ;)

Hehe

> The pd-list has only 1457 subscribers. pd-dev has 506 subscribers.
> A lot of them have subscription disabled, possibly because the email
> address has changed and MailMan never really removes subscribers.
> For example, pd-list has only 1002 enabled subscribers.

I am not sure that number of subscribers to the mailing list is an
accurate representation of number of current users. I know from releases
of my own software in the past, the subscriber to download ratio is
always very very low. I hypothesise that a majority of software users
are interested only in the software itself, and don't know/don't care
about the community, or don't like mailing lists.

1000 users on the mailing list is a good sample for a survey
though! Attached is a survey, please have a look and add to it,
change it, whatever. I think Hans probably has a good idea of all
the different sets of externals and libraries out there since he does
packaging of them all. I was not sure whether or not to include questions
about sex/age/whatever because I'm not sure if it's relevant, or even
offensive. It would be cool to make this into a web form on the plone
site, but I don't know anything about that, so I've CC'ed this to the
pd-web list.

I am against the idea of Pd 'phoning home' for the same reasons as Tim,
and I think it would be too hard to get the code into all the different
versions of Pd out there anyway.

Best,

Chris.

chris at mccormick.cx