[PD-dev] slowing down dsp function inside perform loop

Tim Blechmann tim at klingt.org
Wed Dec 6 15:33:44 CET 2006

> > Basically, I have two buffers with some sound in buffer #1. I'm planning
> > at some time in the future to start playing from buffer #2. I copy the
> > contents of buffer #1 to buffer #2 and then do all kinds of evil DSP to
> > the contents of buffer #2, all done asynchronously from the main DSP
> > perform loop.
>
> okay, but this code don't have to be in the dsp perform loop ...
>
> I see 2 possibilities for that:
>
> - you can do the copy + DSP-transformation of the buffer in a seperate
> thread, as it is done in the [sndfiler] external

please note, that sndfiler is basically not clickfree, because it
requires resorting of the dsp chain, which is not trivial, if your patch
contains quite a number of dsp objects

> - maybe you can also do it with vasp, which is a set of externals for
> buffer calculation and I think they can do it also in a seperate thread

i guess the 'vanilla' way would be to downsample the 'evil DSP' ;)

tim

--
tim at klingt.org    ICQ: 96771783
http://www.mokabar.tk

Desperation is the raw material of drastic change. Only those who can
leave behind everything they have ever believed in can hope to escape.
  William S. Burroughs