[PD-dev] strings

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Tue Dec 19 05:42:56 CET 2006

On Mon, 18 Dec 2006, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> On Dec 18, 2006, at 12:42 PM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
>> Non-sequitur, there are languages that have quite strict and elaborate type
>> checking and yet which support implicit casts. For example, C++.

> C/C++ is not very strict.  It allows you to just change what you call a chunk
> of memory without complaint.

Ok, I spoke too quick. I didn't want to say strict. I shouldn't have said
strict. Instead of strict I wanted to say that the type checking happens
"all of the time".

I thought up some kind of classification of type systems, avoiding to call
them strong/weak or static/dynamic because those words are confusing.

1. Typed expressions: each piece of code that can give a value, has a
type that can be figured out at compile-time.

2. Typed variables/parameters: declarations allow runtime checks but not
compile-time checks.

3. Typed values: variables don't have types, they can contain any value,
but every value has a type.

4. Typed uses: values don't have types, a type is a way of using a value.

Strictness, in the sense of forbidding things to the user, is not on that
scale, it's another aspect. A well-balanced strictness allows one to
bypass the system whenever needed, but without being too error-prone.
However it's difficult to say what it means to "bypass the system" for all
four typing categories at once, or even within one category.