[PD-dev] string type for pd

Thomas Grill gr at grrrr.org
Mon Jan 29 09:41:44 CET 2007

> The [str] object contains the other functions, you can see them in
> str.c in /externals/mrpeach/str.
> Should they be public? I was thinking of an object like [list]
> which has selectors for various functions.
> Of course, any external can use t_strings once they are supported
> by pd.

Most important would be the functions to construct and destroy
strings out of C strings, since there is some memory allocation
involved.
That must be part of core pd, so that they are consistent.
I'll yet have to look into your str object to see how all of this is
actually used.

> Some other issues are lying around, such as what is the largest
> possible string.
> I used MAXPDSTRING but I think that there should be no limit --
> string objects should be ready to handle strings that are longer
> than they have memory for, without crashing.

Yes, i wouldn't restrict that either.

greetings,
Thomas

--