[PD-dev] repository layout

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Sep 11 17:04:29 CEST 2007

Thomas Grill wrote:
> Hi,
> sounds very reasonable to me.
> The only potential problem that i see is the flat hierarchy (resp.
> naming scheme) of the branches and tags. It seems that this folder
> would populate quite fast and might quickly become a mess. On the

true.
a better idea would probably be that each package gets its folder where
releases can be put into, e.g.:
/tags/zexy/zexy-2.1/

the reason for the flat hierarchy was, that deep hirarchies often tend
to confuse more than not, at least if several unorganized people are
involved (like we are): while more scrolling is involved in the flat
hierarchy (seemingly more of a mess), inhierarchical structures it might
eventually turn out that we have /tags/foo-1.0 but
/tags/externals/bar/bar-2.0, which makes bar-2.0 much harder to find in
relation to foo-1.0

> other hand it's quite easy to clean it up again with svn ;-)

right; even if we do it like A, we can revise the directory structure to
B later on :-)

> Btw., where would the svn repository be located?

i think there are currently no real objections against staying at
sourceforge (at least, i had planned to put it there; just for the sake
of all the developers already having an account there (and knowing their
passwords))

fmas.dr
IOhannes