[PD-dev] [ANN] mostly for devs and tcl'ers: tclpd

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Thu Oct 25 02:41:19 CEST 2007

I am not saying that I like the current symbol system.  I am saying
that I don't think it is appropriate to change the behavior in only
certain places.  That just leads to more confusion and bugs.

For now, I think it would be a good idea to have the Tcl API match Pd
as close as possible.  Pointer support would be interesting but I
don't think you need to do it that way.

It is like it is now, so we can test it as it is.

.hc

On Oct 24, 2007, at 6:16 AM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Oct 2007, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>
>> - About the symbol/float stuff, I think Pd is intended to always
>> reduce atoms to their elemental type based on their content.
>> Therefore, {symbol 123} shouldn't really exist.
>
> If I make symbol 123456789 it's because it's intended to stay
> 123456789. I don't want tclpd to bastardise it by assuming that i'm
> ok with an approximation of the number that it could be
> representing if my intent was really to represent a quantity
> instead of just having a string of characters.
>
> Federico and I came to the conclusion that we came to because
> pretty much anything else sucked in some way. We don't care that Pd
> seems perfectly ok with blowing up the saving of symbols that look
> like numbers, and we don't care that you don't want support for
> pointers.
>
> I don't think that you and I and all of us have to stick with mere
> original intents.
>
> The main alternative I would have had to that, is to represent Pd
> symbols in Tcl as the Pd parser would accept them. This means that
> a float would be backslashed. But I had ruled that out because then
> there would be no way to represent a pointer, unless some extra
> syntax is designed, plus other reasons.
>
>> Therefore, I think it would be better to just use normal Tcl
>> lists, at least for now.
>
> If you do it "at least for now", you're stuck with it forever or so.
>
>> Plus, I think Pd's type handling is partially modeled after Tcl's.
>
> I don't know how you can argue that, but there's a large enough
> chunk of difference, that you could ignore the similarities. If
> Pd's type system was roughly like Tcl's, then users would never
> have to think about types in [pack], [unpack], [t], and such, for
> example.

> | Mathieu Bouchard - tél:+1.514.383.3801, Montréal QC Canada

----

                   ¡El pueblo unido jamás será vencido!