[PD-dev] getting the classname in an class

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Oct 31 20:18:19 CET 2007

On Oct 31, 2007, at 10:21 AM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> On Wed, 31 Oct 2007, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>
>> This looks good.  How about storing the symbols somewhere to save
>> some symbol table lookups?
>> t_symbol *poundx_symbol = gemsym("#X");
>> t_symbol *obj_symbol = gemsym("obj");
>
> There is already &s__X for the first one, but really, I don't think
> that Pd uses savefn enough to warrant bothering with that kind of
> non-issue. In Dd, however, savefn is used MUCH more often than in
> Pd, so, I could change it if there wasn't any 1000-times-more-
> important optimisation I could work on.

Yes, this is small, but it can't hurt, it's quite simple, and I think
its often makes for more readable code.  This kind of thing seems
pretty common in Max/MSP externals.

----

All mankind is of one author, and is one volume; when one man dies,
one chapter is not torn out of the book, but translated into a better
language; and every chapter must be so translated.... -John Donne