[PD-dev] overriding "internals"

Andy Farnell padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk
Sat Nov 10 13:45:53 CET 2007

This sounds interesting Hans. The question would be, what
is the default/empty behaviour of Pd with no internals at all?

Does it just become a framework for connecting objects (the Pd way)?

I ask because I considered the following recently:

Say I have a small collection of objects made in Faust, corresponding
to all the common audio rate Pd objects ([phasor~],[cos~], [osc~], [+~] ....)
and I want to compare a patch written in vanilla with its implementation
using my Faust objects. How could I override the vanilla internals...?
(As you can see this eventually leads to the possibility of a Pd which
lets me generate source and compile it for standalone apps or whatever.)

a.

On Fri, 9 Nov 2007 16:50:55 -0500
Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at eds.org> wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> So for the Pd-0.40.3-extended release, I am planning on trying to
> make the internals available as a library like any other.  I'd like
> this work to be applicable to pd-vanilla, so I'd like to discuss how
> to make it happen.
>
> I was thinking of just breaking out the classes into their own files,
> then compiling things as a libdir.  This is pretty easy for most of
> the objects, but I haven't gotten into the DSP classes yet, and I
> expect things will be more complicated there.  And [list] too.
>
> One of the things I am planning on doing for the tkwidget library is
> making it have a shared libtkwidget.so which each of the object
> classes uses.  Then each objectclass will have its own file, but they
> still will have shared code.  If this works out well, I think it
> could be a model for Pd libraries in general.
>
> .hc

> ----
>
> As we enjoy great advantages from inventions of others, we should be
> glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours; and
> this we should do freely and generously.         - Benjamin Franklin

Use the source