[PD-dev] GUIs and loadbang

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Nov 14 16:49:06 CET 2007

On Nov 14, 2007, at 3:25 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>> So all of the Tk widgets that I am using save their own state
>> while  they are running, then I am planning on querying them when
>> the savefn  is called to save their state, and of course, do the
>> opposite when  opening.
>
> how are you going to do that?
> when the savefn is called, will you send a request to the pd-gui,
> stall the pd-engine while waiting for the result (tricky, as the
> talkback channel will also be stalled) and only then return from
> savefn?
>
> do you bear in mind that the savefn is called everytime you copy
> the object or even edit an existing object?
>
> that'll make the widget library pretty much unusable for live
> patching.
>

> i think a better way would be to dump the "content" of the widget
> to the pd-engine everytime it is (actively?) changed.
> you don't need any special structure for this, just store the list
> in a save place and use it whenever the savefn gets called.

[text] has 35 options, so I imagine that if I save them every time
one changes, that would also be quite heavy.  Especially if you are
moving a slider on one of the options, or something like that.

Hmm... in need of a tricky hack... I can almost taste it, but I just
can't grasp it yet.

----

You can't steal a gift. Bird gave the world his music, and if you can
hear it, you can have it. - Dizzy Gillespie