[PD-dev] CVS to SVN ?

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Dec 19 06:28:04 CET 2007

On Dec 18, 2007, at 1:35 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> Georg Holzmann wrote:
>> Hallo Russell !
>>
>>> I really don't intend to start a SCM war here, but has the
>>> discussion of
>>> switching to using svn on sourceforge instead of cvs ever come up
>>> before?
>>
>> This was discussed many many times before and at the pd-convention it
>> was decided to switch to SVN.
>
> i would rather say: it was decided that if somebody volunteers to
> do the
> work, nobody will object.
>
> i volunteered to do the work.
> after fruitless discussions, i decided to not push the switch any
> more.
> (though i still would like to work with subversion)
>
> the main counter-argument against svn was, that everything that cannot
> be done with CVS was considered as "experimental" and "should not be
> used", in which case i don't see a reason to do the work.
>

>> So yes, this will be done AFAIR.
>
> or rather, no, it won't be done AFAIK.
>
> i am currently thinking of starting an svn-repository in parallel
> to the
> CVS-repository (both at sourceforge) and whoever wants to move over
> should just do it, and leave a notice in the CVS, that the content has
> moved.

I think the choice is pretty clear, let's use SourceForge's SVN.  It
seems that the  easiest and most straightforward would be just to
import the whole CVS into a new SVN, then switch the CVS to read-
only.  Otherwise, we'll have to keep track of what's in CVS and
what's in SVN.  But I haven't run such an import before.

That's my two bits. I fully the support the switch.

----

Using ReBirth is like trying to play an 808 with a long stick.    -
David Zicarelli