[PD-dev] o profiling PD

B. Bogart ben at ekran.org
Sat Dec 29 00:10:00 CET 2007

Hey all,

I'm trying to track down a strange baseline CPU usage in a patch of
mine. Basically I load the patch and it will show a certain baseline CPU
amount, even with audio off, no rendering, and no control messages
flowing (except for those initially set off by the loadbangs). loading
with -noloadbang does not show the baseline CPU.

The amount of CPU seems proportional to the number of abstractions in
the patch (about 800 kills the machine at 90%+, 400 uses about 40%)

So I'd like to see what PD functions are using up all the CPU.

I've compiled a PD with ./configure --enable-debug and I do see the -g
in the makefile, but oprofile still only shows "pd" as a blackbox.

For Gem I needed to do something with the "strip" stuff, but I don't see
any corresponding features in the PD makefile.

Any suggestions?

Thanks all,

B. Bogart