[PD-dev] CVS to SVN ?

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Thu Jan 3 08:32:16 CET 2008

On Jan 2, 2008, at 2:52 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> hi
>
> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>> As for using svn:externals for reorganizing build systems, that
>> seems  to just be creating more work for each custom distro.  I
>> think this
>
> i don't know.
>
> what i do know is, that in _our_ custom distro, i have to
> explicitely "cvs checkout" the needed externals. this seems more
> cumbersome than using "svn:externals".
> additionally, i patch the build-systems of the externals in order
> to fit. i think this is more tiresome than not patching it.
>
> as for pd-extended it obviously would be more work in the
> migration, as the current build-system is organized around this
> single distro.
>
> so i cannot really follow your argument here.

The idea would be like this:

svn co pure-data
cd pure-data/packages/darwin_app
./configure --disable-all-externals  --enable-zexy --enable-iemmatrix
make && make package

And voila, you have your custom distro.  For a different platform,
you would do this:

svn co pure-data
cd pure-data/packages/linux_make
./configure --disable-all-externals  --enable-zexy --enable-iemmatrix
make && make package

I suppose ideally, the ./configure would specify the package type
too, like this:

svn co pure-data
cd pure-data/packages
./configure --disable-all-externals  --enable-zexy --enable-iemmatrix \
	--enable-darwin-app
make && make package

This would eliminate the need to do any kind of special CVS/SVN
checkouts when building custom distros.  A lot of this already
works.  It's not pretty, and could be improved a lot, but there is
something to build on.

As for requiring the "packages" section, there is no reason why it is
that why it is that way beside that is the way that it currently
works.  I think that all of this stuff probably should be included in
pd/src/configure.in.

----