[PD-dev] CVS to SVN ?

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Jan 30 09:59:26 CET 2008

Russell Bryant wrote:

> However, going back to the subject of this specific thread, is the move
> to an svn repository dependent upon resolving this discussion about
> build systems?  There are benefits to making the move, even with the
> exact same structure and content that exists today.  Furthermore,
> restructuring things in an svn repo is "cheap" and easy, and could
> easily be done after the move.
>
> What, if anything, must be resolved before someone can move everything
> to svn?

just yesterday, wini and me brought this up in a discussion.
i think we (wine & me) are currently in a state that we don't want any
more discussion and still want to switch to SVN.

therefore i propose:
we will prepare cvs2svn migration within the next week. the migration
will basically do nothing but migrate (no changes within the directory
layout), but from my former experiments this does not do 100% cleanly.
before the actual migration takes place, the CVS will be closed (read
only); after the migration (will probably take about 3hours) and the
final import into sourceforge, the SVN will be opened.
most stuff should just still work at this point.
we will then start to re-organize the directory structure of "our" subtrees

expected timeline:
+ 4.feb-6.feb: creating migration scripts + tests.
+ 7.feb: "day of switch";  do the actual migration; on this day no
development activity should be made, as changes might be lost otherwise.

eventually, in the days of testing a preview of the repository will be
made available as "https://svn.puredata.info/svnroot/pure-data"

if this is ok for everybody, we will just do it.

fgmasdr.
IOhannes