[PD-dev] vamp plugins for PD (GSoC)

Jamie Bullock jamie at postlude.co.uk
Sun Mar 16 17:40:42 CET 2008

Hi!

On Sun, 2008-03-16 at 13:29 +0100, Georg Holzmann wrote:
> Hallo!
>
> I just have come over the vamp plugins (http://www.vamp-plugins.org) again.
> It is a plugin system for feature extraction, audio analysis and is used
> by the Sonic Visualizer, Ardour, Audacity and others ...
> There already exist many plugins (see
> http://www.vamp-plugins.org/download.html and the features listed there)
> and it would be definitely nice to have them in pd.

Certainly the aubio functionality and the libxtract functionality (which
gives some 50 features), are already available to Pd as an external (no
need for a plugin host).

http://libxtract.sourceforge.net/

Although, from your list, it looks like you are mainly interested in the
'higher level' features?

The vamp-libxtract-plugin wraps some of the libxtract functionality, but
is not as flexible (or efficient) as the Pd version. If you have any
comments or suggestions, or features you would like to see implemented,
I would be happy to hear it!

> I made a GSoC page where I described it in more details
> (http://puredata.info/dev/summer-of-code/VampPlugins) and would be
> definitely interested in implementing this for GSoC.
> Anyhow, I don't know if this project might be too small ... maybe it can
> be also combined with something else ?

I think it would combine very nicely into the PluginHost suggestion I
added last week!

best,

Jamie

--