[PD-dev] call for test: uline~ = vline~ without blowup when dsp is off

Claude Heiland-Allen claudiusmaximus at goto10.org
Tue Mar 18 14:38:40 CET 2008

Hi all,

I've been increasingly annoyed by:

"[ 1736518 ] [switch~]ing [vline~] causes ever increasing CPU usage"

https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1736518&group_id=55736&atid=478070

So I tried to fix it, by pruning expired segments from the start of the
queue when segments are added, instead of waiting for the perform method
to do it (which only happens when DSP is active).

I probably made some errors, most likely in the munging of the internal
state - would appreciate testing, particularly any deviations in
comparison to vline~.

I'm also not sure about the timefudge - it's set to 1000ms which aims to
be higher than the block size, if the block size is huge then uline~
might incorrectly expire some messages sent when DSP is off.  I'm not
sure what vline~ does when you change the block size, I'm guessing all
bets are off?

Tarball is here:

https://devel.goto10.org/dl.php?repname=maximus&path=%2Fuline_tilde%2F&rev=0&isdir=1

or:

svn co https://devel.goto10.org/svn/maximus/uline_tilde uline_tilde

When sufficient testing shows there are no remaining bugs, I'll file a
patch against d_ctl.c on the tracker.

Thanks,

Claude
--