[PD-dev] bang [block~] to query current blocksize

Claude Heiland-Allen claudiusmaximus at goto10.org
Fri May 23 12:07:18 CEST 2008

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> On May 23, 2008, at 9:00 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
>> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>>> I just had a thought, what about adding an outlet to [block~]
>>> that  will output the block size as a float when [block~] is
>>> banged?  I  can't think of any other way to query what the current
>>> block size is,  and it would be useful sometimes.
>> banging [switch~] allows you to do dsp processing on demand.
>> since [block~] and [switch~] are so closely related (on the Pd side
>> they are very similar (with [switch~] being a better [block~]); on
>> the C side they are the basically same) i would suggest to do any
>> additional overloading.
>>
>> i agree however, that it would be nice to get the current
>> blocksize, overlap and oversample from within Pd.
>
> It seems that adding an outlet to block~/switch~ seems to be the most
> obvious interface for getting the data.  Perhaps just a message then?

I'd personally prefer new objects:

[blocksize~]
[overlap~]
[oversampling~]

to match the existing:

[samplerate~]

Rationale:

You might want to get the blocksize etc in more than one place.
It might be inconvenient to patch cables from the [block~].
Plus the reasons that IOhannes mentioned.

Thanks,

Claude
--
http://claudiusmaximus.goto10.org