[PD-dev] bang [block~] to query current blocksize

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue May 27 09:06:28 CEST 2008

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> Personally, I don't see a problem with a global receive for a global
> state.  To me, I think that a dataflow program should be set up to

first off, the initial thread was _not_ about global states.
- the blocksize is _local_ (unless you want to query the dac-blocksize
which is currently hardcoded to 64 samples)
- the samplerate we are interested in is _local_ (the global samplerate
can be queried via [samplerate~]
- overlap-factor is _local_ (ok, i think you get the picture by now)

querying with [; pd-mypatch.pd dsp( or listening via [r pd-mypatch.pd]
works fine if all your abstractions have the same blocksize /
overlapfactor / samplerate. however, in this case the query result may
be no so interesting...the fun only starts when things begin to differ.

so we have to do it more patch-local, probably by [namecanvas] (wasn't
that "deprecated"?) - but what's the difference to [dspinfo~] then -
apart from the fact that [dspinfo~] is pretty selfexplanatory (just like
[samplerate~])...?

in theory, everything could be done using a query/response mechanism;
they call this sql. (could be an interesting cml)

fgamsrd
IOhannes