[PD-dev] setup() for hex loader

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed May 28 17:13:32 CEST 2008

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> On May 28, 2008, at 1:28 PM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
>
> I think you can guess which one I think is good ;)  the multi-
> objectclass library file format seems to cause a lot more problems
> than it solves.

the key is: have your own opinion, but allow a variety of opinions...

> We could also switch to gcc on Windows, then we wouldn't have to work
> about M$VC oddness, unless someone really wants to.  gcc was been
> building Pd-extended for years now.

again, the key is: have your own opinion, but allow a variety of opinions...

why should i not use a commercial compiler if it produces better code,
e.g. icc (i don't say that M$VC produces better code)

apart from that, the same thing is also possible with M$VC, you just
have to specify it differently. i think it is via _DLL_InitTerm() or the
like.
the "__attribute__ ((constructor))" is really a gcc extension. it should
not be used in platform independent code...

> Sure, makes sense to be system-wide.  I don't really have a good
> grasp on the implementation details, how hard would it be to add this
> to Pd?

within Pd it should be a couple of lines.
in an external loader it would be a couple of more lines (as we have to
find and open the library again) plus the glue.

nfvasdr
IOhannes