[PD-dev] [ pure-data-Bugs-2004979 ] hid defaults to debugging (flood of "hid_get_events")

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sun Jun 29 14:18:42 CEST 2008

On Jun 29, 2008, at 2:10 PM, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Hallo,
>
>> On Jun 29, 2008, at 10:54 AM, Frank Barknecht wrote:
>>> A fairly standard way to deal with bugs fixes is to include them in
>>> "trunk". I don't think, one can expect users to follow every branch.
>>> In fact, I don't check out the branches at all, because there are so
>>> many of them and I don't want to search every branch for a bug fix.
>>
>> They will be included in trunk.  We would never get anything done if
>> we had to maintain trunk in a releasable state.
>>
>> Come on, please don't give me a hard time about trunk not being
>> perfectly working.  I have enough to do with getting a good
>> release out.
>
> I didn't want to give you a hard time, sorry if I sounded like that.
> It's a minor bug and can be fixed in the trunk in whatever time you
> prefer.
>
> Though there is a larger question lurking here: What should trunk be
> and how should bug reporters check, if a bug may be already fixed? Or
> in short: What is the reference repository: some branches or the
> trunk? To me, trunk was that reference version (and for the record: to
> me it is for bug reports regarding my stuff, unless the reports are
> branch-specific). But if you regard pd-extended branches as reference
> for your externals, I'll take note of that for future reports.

Trunk is the reference, but during a release cycle, I am following
the practice laid out by a number of other projects of focusing all
my work on the release branch.  Then once the release is done, I'll
merge those changes into trunk.  Otherwise, it is a lot of work
maintaining changes in two branches at the same time.

.hc