[PD-dev] Problems w' Ratts on Windows

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Jul 2 11:21:00 CEST 2008

Bryan Jurish wrote:
> moin Daniel,
>
> ... forwarding to pd-dev ...
>
> On 2008-07-02 01:17:53, "daniel c. howe" <dhowe at mrl.nyu.edu> appears to
> have written:
>> Hi Brian
>> I re-installed a newer binary of pd-ext and added your dll...
>>
>>    And pd said: ------------------------------------------------------
>>
>>     ratts: Realtime Analog Text-To-Speech externals v0.07 by Bryan Jurish
>>     ratts: Based on text-to-speech code by Nick Ing-Simmons and Jon Iles
>>     ratts: and PD external code by Orm Finnendahl and Travis Newhouse
>>     ratts: compiled by pddev on Mon Jun 30 16:26:18 EDT 2008
>
> well, that looks right at least... do I assume correctly that you
> started pd with "-lib ratts"?  (or included "ratts" in the "Startup"
> dialog of pd-extended?)
>
>> Seems like that did the trick! Nice work...  Now what would be great is
>> either the help files or a simple example...
>
> the help files don't need to be compiled at all.  they're included in
> the ratts source distribution; to get them installed, just do:
>
>  $ cp $RATTS_SOURCE_ROOT/src/*-help.pd /pdext/doc/5.reference
>
>> I tried using the attached
>> patch (rattsass.pd), but  get the usual errors about not being able to
>> create the other objects... (I'm guessing they are packaged in the
>> .dll??) [see msgs below], or maybe I am missing something obvious??
>> (FYI: my pd-install is in C:\pdext and the extras in C:\pdext\extra)
>
> well, they ought to be.  "ratts" is a multi-object external, so all of
> the objects ought to be bundled into the single "ratts.dll".  Now I seem
> to recall a lot of discussion on the list that multi-object libraries
> are deprecated for pd-extended (this being one reason I don't use
> pd-extended); not sure if this means they don't work at all, or if
> there's some extra magic that needs to be applied.
>
> @list: can anyone enlighten me here?

Pd-extended is not different from Pd-vanilla in this respect: it loads
multi-object libs just like single-object externals (else Gem/pdp/...
would be in trouble)
it is "deprecated" from a social point of view.

anyhow, since ratts is compiled as mol, i would suggest installing like
follows:
create directory %PDEXTDIR%\extra\ratts\
 > mkdir %PDEXTDIR%\extra\ratts\
put everything (binary+helppatches in there)
 > copy %RATTS_SOURCE_ROOT\src\ratts.dll %PDEXTDIR%\extra\ratts\
 > copy %RATTS_SOURCE_ROOT\src\*-help.pd %PDEXTDIR%\extra\ratts\

this should allow you to load ratts (with both Pd and PdX) with
something like "-lib ratts" and all the help-files will just work
without cluttering the %PDEXTDIR%\doc\5.reference\

> I'm still using an old-ish version of pd-vanilla, and I've never seen it
> produce anything like the log below.  looks useful and intuitive though:
> i guess this is the hexloader stuff folks on the list have been on about
>  :-)

yikes, again!

> when i first wrote ratts, i included a "multi-object" build mode which
> might help (if indeed pd-extended absolutely refuses to accept
> multi-object externals (which I would consider a bug), but unfortunately
> suspect may be the case); i have no idea though whether that build mode
> still works.  I'll try it out at home later today... until then, perhaps
> the listers can enlighten us further?

>> input channels = 2, output channels = 2
>> input channels = 2, output channels = 2
>> 1 devices in, 1 devices out
>> tried C:\\pdext\\dch\\guessphones.dll and failed
>> tried
>> hex(2):25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,52,00,6f,00,6f,00,74,00,25,00,2f,00,46,00,6f,00,6e,00,74,00,73,00,00,00\\guessphones.dll
>> and failed

actually this looks more like some garbage in a buffer.
did you add something weird to your paths?

mfga.sdr
IOhannes