[PD-dev] [range] from maxlib

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Thu Jul 3 22:05:12 CEST 2008

On Thu, 3 Jul 2008, Roman Haefeli wrote:

> sorry for late reply. i couldn't figure out, what [range] from gridflow
> does, so it makes you difficult to have an opinion about this. the fact,
> that it doesn't have a '#' in its name, makes me assume, that it does
> something, that cannot only be applied to grids, which means, it has
> kind of a general use.

It's a cascaded [moses]. For example,

[range 11 13 17 19] = [moses 11]/[moses 13]/[moses 17]/[moses 19]

where the slash is a right-outlet-to-left-inlet connection.

this is what jMax had instead of moses, and I added it to GF in order to
avoid having to cascade many [moses].

> this speaks for keeping the name. on the other hand, i find it
> problematic, if libraries with a dedicated focus (processing grids in
> the case of gridflow) include classes, that aren't really part of that
> focus AND at the same time occupy a generic name.

If they wouldn't be there, they would be in some library that would be
required for using GridFlow (because it would be used in GridFlow's
abstractions), and the problem would be exactly the same, only with one
more library dependency to think about.

Frankly, I don't know what to do to solve your problem. I think that it's
a problem of your perception of what GridFlow is supposed to be, vs what
it is.

Besides, if you read one sentence of "GridFlow is..." it doesn't tell you
the whole picture and you shouldn't take it as such. I also didn't want to
call the library MatjuLib just because its most defining characteristic is
that all the things in there are things that I have wanted and/or that my
collaborators have wanted. I thought about making a separate library but
quickly figured out that there was not much of a point to it.