[PD-dev] abstractions

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Tue Jul 8 00:03:25 CEST 2008

On Mon, 2008-07-07 at 23:36 +0200, mescalinum at gmail.com wrote:
> > Originally [range] was only there so that when I convert jMax patches
> > to Pd patches, I wouldn't have to do elaborate search-and-replaces.
> > Although later on I could have decided to let it go and do things the
> > Pd way, instead I came with the idea that [moses] was not enough and
> > that if [sel] and [route] and such, take multiple number of arguments,
> > [moses] should. In some patches I had to string 8 [moses] together.
>  btw such "range" is very feasible with only pd language and dynamic
> patching.
> see attached patch ;-)

hey ciao federico

nice approach!

however, it has some flaws:

1. if you create a patch using your [range] abstraction, then
connections from the outlets are cut next time you load the patch. this
because you cannot create outlets dynamically early enough without
something like an [initbang], that is executed even before [loadbang]

2. it _does_ require externals: [dollarg] is from iemlib

3. it is not exactly the same as matju's [range], since matjus version
has an inlet per argument.

roman