[PD-dev] svn:externals

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Wed Jul 9 07:26:15 CEST 2008

On Wed, 9 Jul 2008, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> On Jul 8, 2008, at 3:25 PM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
>> Because what if someone wants to make a branch out of all of the stuff in
>> pd/externals ... then pd/externals/gridflow won't be branched, and that
>> person won't be able to patch it. Well, there are already branches like
>> that, and the same applies to tags. I thought that this is what Hans wanted
>> me to understand but he didn't explain it. In any case, this is what I
>> eventually understood from his original comment on svn:externals.
> That's a good reason, but I didn't realize it before.

Ok, I really thought that this was THE reason you had in mind.

> all of the repositories have to be working fine in order for it to work.
> For example, on svn:externals link had a invalid certificate, causing an
> error which broke the auto-build. Ok, so you can accept the cert
> permanently.

That's a small thing in comparison, because you can get it fixed quickly,
whereas the only realistic thing to do with making a branch over multiple
repositories is to first copy the other repositories into your home one,
unless you do have accounts on all of them... and if you do, then you have
to branch on all repositories separately, all of the time. Branches aren't
added that often, but tags are in the exact same situation.

> But since it was a self-generated cert, there is a good chance of it
> being regenerated.

I don't see why this would be happening any more often than a
non-self-generated cert... Anyway, gridflow.ca also uses a self-generated
cert, and yet I heard nothing about it. (What happened?)