[PD-dev] svn:externals

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Jul 9 23:47:16 CEST 2008

On Jul 9, 2008, at 1:26 AM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> On Wed, 9 Jul 2008, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>> On Jul 8, 2008, at 3:25 PM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
>>> Because what if someone wants to make a branch out of all of the
>>> stuff in pd/externals ... then pd/externals/gridflow won't be
>>> branched, and that person won't be able to patch it. Well, there
>>> are already branches like that, and the same applies to tags. I
>>> thought that this is what Hans wanted me to understand but he
>>> didn't explain it. In any case, this is what I eventually
>>> understood from his original comment on svn:externals.
>> That's a good reason, but I didn't realize it before.
>
> Ok, I really thought that this was THE reason you had in mind.
>
>> all of the repositories have to be working fine in order for it to
>> work. For example, on svn:externals link had a invalid
>> certificate, causing an error which broke the auto-build. Ok, so
>> you can accept the cert permanently.
>
> That's a small thing in comparison, because you can get it fixed
> quickly, whereas the only realistic thing to do with making a
> branch over multiple repositories is to first copy the other
> repositories into your home one, unless you do have accounts on all
> of them... and if you do, then you have to branch on all
> repositories separately, all of the time. Branches aren't added
> that often, but tags are in the exact same situation.
>
>> But since it was a self-generated cert, there is a good chance of
>> it being regenerated.
>
> I don't see why this would be happening any more often than a non-
> self-generated cert... Anyway, gridflow.ca also uses a self-
> generated cert, and yet I heard nothing about it. (What happened?)

Self-generated certs often have short expiration times.  Also, people
using self-generating certs often don't keep them up to date once
they expire.

But really, I think we don't know all of the possible problems.  If
we introduce new tools that can affect all devs, like svn:externals,
then someone needs to take responsibility for fixing things that it
breaks.  If not, then that tool just becomes a bigger burden, rather
than making things more efficient.

.hc

> | Mathieu Bouchard - tél:+1.514.383.3801, Montréal, Québec

----

I have the audacity to believe that peoples everywhere can have three
and dignity, equality and freedom for their spirits.      - Martin
Luther King, Jr.