[PD-dev] [ pure-data-Bugs-2004979 ] hid defaults to debugging (flood of "hid_get_events")

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Thu Jul 10 16:29:35 CEST 2008

On Jul 8, 2008, at 10:43 PM, yves degoyon wrote:

> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>>
>> On Jun 29, 2008, at 2:53 PM, Frank Barknecht wrote:
>>

>>> Hallo,

>>> That's perfectly fine. Maybe I should rephrase the question to: When
>>> to close bugs?
>>>
>>> If I encounter a bug, I first update my checkout to the latest
>>> version
>>> of the trunk, recompile, and if the bug still is there, I go to the
>>> bug report page and look, if there is an open bug report
>>> regarding it.
>>> Mabye I'll also search the mailing list. In this case I didn't
>>> find a
>>> bug report, and in the archive I saw you asking for a report. So
>>> I sat
>>> down and wrote one. It was closed some minutes later because
>>> there is
>>> a branch that doesn't have the bug anymore.
>>>
>>> Now someone else may come along, do the same thing as I did, but now
>>> there is no open bug report anymore so she may go through the same
>>> procedure again.
>>>
>>> Anyway, no need to further pursue this issue in this petty case, but
>>> in general I'd prefer if bug reports would stay open until they are
>>> fixed in the main branch i.e. the trunk to avoid duplicate reports.
>>>
>> Bug reports should be closed when they don't need any more
>> attention.
>
> gosh, this is 'wooden tong' talk
> frank is perfectly right to ask what is the reference branch,
> where, when thing will be fixed,
> it's not a game of playing with bug report status,
> is where i could find the right version? punto, coma, punto y punto
>
> don't ignore this please,
> i think it's contributing in the overall confusion
>
> i worked in sofware management too,
> and every bug should be closed as 'fixed in version 0.xx an up'
> nothing more,
> so you don't work that way?
>
> ya'llah
> sevy

Perhaps what I propose isn't the best idea.  But it takes less work,
from what I can see.  I am quite overloaded in terms of Pd work so I
can't always pay attention to the details.  And answering lots of
emails with criticism is largely a time sync unless people are going
to actually propose something better and not just say what I am doing
is bad.

Coming up with a workable plan is where the real work is.  I would
happily follow someone else's plan if they spend the time to consider
all of the issues and then keep working on it and documenting it as
it is implemented.

----

                             kill your television