[PD-dev] closing bugs (was Re: [ pure-data-Bugs-2004979 ] hid defaults to debugging (flood of "hid_get_events"))

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Thu Jul 10 18:56:15 CEST 2008

Hallo,
IOhannes m zmoelnig hat gesagt: // IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> Frank Barknecht wrote:
> > Hallo,
> > Hans-Christoph Steiner hat gesagt: // Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> >
> >> Bug reports should be closed when they don't need any more
> >> attention.  When reporting bugs, ideally people would also search
> >> closed reports to see if the issue has ever been reported or if there
> >> has been any work or discussion related to this issue.  "Closed"
> >> should not be a synonym for "Complete".  There is a separate pull-
> >> down menu for that, with states like "Accepted" for patches and
> >> "Fixed" for bugs.
> >
> > A bug that is "Closed" can not be(come) "Fixed" anymore.
>

> hmm, technically it can (on the sf tracker); but i guess you are rather
> referring to the social aspects of it.

Yes. To me, "Closed" means that an issue doesn't need any more work.
This can mean that it's tested and fixed, that it won't be fixed, that
is is invalid, a duplicate etc. But the main feature of bugs marked
"Closed" to me is, that no further work is needed in this issue, and
"Open" bugs are bugs that still need one or more Actions to be
performed.

The bug in question is fixed in a branch, but what was still left to
do was to apply that fix to the trunk. After that the report would be
closed. I don't understand what is gained by closing a report when
there is still work pending, however minor that may be? (And
personally I don't think, a bug fix missing from trunk is that minor,
but that's another story.) An open bug report is just a little
reminder and it doesn't hurt anyone.  At least I hope it doesn't ...

Ciao