[PD-dev] urlloader, a web-based abstraction loader

Stephen Sinclair radarsat1 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 11 05:04:16 CEST 2008

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 1:15 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at eds.org>
wrote:

> Seems like an interesting idea.  Personally, I think an apt-get style of
> package management would work better for Pd.  Sounds like you have all the
> right infrastructure, but instead of auto-downloading patches, it could be
> used for package management.

True.  I don't know though, I don't have a good concept of how that might
work for Pd.  It's been discussed before but no one's really come up with a
concrete suggestion for it as far as I know, so this is the best I could
come up with for now..

I thought it might be good to get the ball rolling with some code.  I'd be
extremely happy if someone wanted to fork it into a package management
system.  At least it demonstrates how to download files, check them for
trust, and tell Pd to load them, so maybe someone will find a better way to
use that.  As it stands, the code is good enough that you could publish a
patch on your website that would download the rest of itself on the fly, so
it's a start at least.

Steve