[PD-dev] abstractions

patrice colet pat at mamalala.org
Fri Jul 11 08:19:09 CEST 2008

Hi,

Frank Barknecht a écrit :

> I think, Pd could benefit a lot by providing a default scripting
> language to write operations like [range] which are tediuos to do as
> an abstraction. Altough I'm not a fan of Tcl (and would prefer Lua),
> Tcl would be a natural choice as it's available anyway. Ideally the
> scripts would be saved within the patch, e.g. inside message boxes.
> Oh wait, that's toxy! Hm, ... but toxy has a horrible syntax, which I
> could never get around. But the general approach of it is a fantastic
> idea.

  Having a default scripting language is certainly the best thing that
could happen to puredata, I think.
 We wouldn't have to deal anymore with externals and get headaches for
manipulating strings, and (maybe) for custumizing our own widgets
without having to touch pd.tk or compiling.
 The problem of toxy horrible synthax doesn't come from toxy but like
almost everyone know, from puredata's 'dropped keycodes', so it would be
the same with any other language wrapper that allow to store the code
into the patch (just try to launch a sed command line with [shell] to
have an idea...)

à plus