[PD-dev] breaking up the hexloader into usable chunks

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Jul 23 05:38:13 CEST 2008

Hey,

Since the hexloader seems to be getting ever more complicated, I'd
like to propose a  (hopefully) simple alternate solution that covers
a lot of what the hex loader does.  This has been proposed before, I
am just bringing it up again:

- enable the use of a generic setup() function, like Max/MSP, instead
of specifically named setup functions, like moses_setup().

This would mean that nothing special would need to be done to create
objectclasses with characters that are valid for the file systems in
question.  It shouldn't be hard to implement, here's what the BSD man
page for dlsym has to say about it:

      If dlsym() is called with a handle, returned by dlopen() then
only that
      image and any libraries it depends on are searched for symbol.

Then it seems it is just a matter of using dlopen() with the
RTLD_LOCAL mode and that library's setup() won't be exported to the
global space.

----

publicity.          - Bill Moyers